The Novgorod Icon of the Mother of God
Commemorated on December 20
The Novgorod Icon of the Mother of God was written by holy Sainted Peter, Metropolitan of Moscow (Comm. 21 December), during his stay as hegumen of a monastery on the River Rata at the boundary of the Malyi Dvorets. During the time of subsequent persecution by the Uniates plundering the Novgorod monastery, the icon was transferred by the priestmonk Yakov to the Eletsk Chernigov monastery. The Chernigov Vladyka Antonii (Stakovsky) later blessed with this icon Simeon, the organiser of the Surozhsk monastery (Chernigov diocese). On 14 August 1677, at the time of a church procession from the old church to a new, the icon gracedly manifest miraculous signs.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.