The Monk Arkadii of Vyazemsk and Novotorzhsk
Commemorated on July 11, December 13, August 14
The relics of the Monk Arkadii, glorified by miracles, were uncovered on 11 July 1677 at the Novotorzhsk Borisoglebsk (Boris and Gleb) monastery. Two days later they were transferred from the right side of the Borisoglebsk cathedral to the left side, beneathe a chapel in honour of the holy Righteous Ancestors of God Joakim and Anna. In 1755 they were re-situated into a stone tomb.
The Monk Arkadii
of Vyazemsk and Novotorzhsk was from the city of Vyaz'ma of common folk
pious parents, who from childhood taught him prayer and obedience. The gentle,
perceptive, prudent and good youth chose for his ascetic deed being a
fool-for-Christ. He ate by alms, and slept where he put himself, – whether in
the forest, or on the church portico. His blessed unconcern and closeness to
nature imparted to the figure of young Arkadii a peculiar spiritual aspect and
distance from worldly vanity. In church, absorbed in prayer, Saint Arkadii
often wept tears of tenderness and spiritual joy. His advice was precise, his
predictions happened, and his look intelligent. An experienced guide, the Monk
Ephrem – Wonderworker of Novotorzhsk (Comm. 28 January, helped the young
ascetic to avoid the spiritual dangers in passing through the difficult and in
this time uncommon exploit of foolishness. And after this the people of Vyaz'ma
became witnesses of several miracles, done through the prayer of Blessed
Arkadii, but he fled human fame and set out along the upper Tvertsa River. Here
the Monk Arkadii divided the work with his spiritual guide the Monk Ephrem of
Novotorzhsk, and shared together with him in the founding of a church and
monastery in honour of the holy Nobleborn Passion-Bearers Boris and Gleb (+
1015; first transfer of their holy relics was in 1072; General Comm. 2 May).
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.