The Abalatsk "Sign" [Znamenie] Icon of the Mother of God
Commemorated on July 20 and November 27
Znamenie-sign Icon of the Mother of God was written by a proto-deacon of
the Tobol'sk cathedral, Matfei, in honour of Sophia the Wisdom of God, in the
fulfilling of a vow by a paralytic peasant Evphymii towards the rebuilding anew
at the Abalatsk monastery the church of the Znamenie-Sign of the Mother of God.
This church was built in 1637 after the recurrent miraculous appearances of the
Znamenie Mother of God, accompanied by Saint Nicholas and the Nun Mary of
Egypt, appearing to the pious widow Maria. With the writing of the temple's
Znamenie-Sign Icon, the paralytic Evphymii was completely healed. And during
the time of the solemn transfer of the icon to the Abalatsk temple many
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.