Commemorated on June 6
The Monk Jona of
Klimetsk, in the world John, accepted monasticism and founded the Klimetsk
Trinity monastery in accordance with a vow.
In the year 1490 he
had been caught by a storm on Lake Onega. When however there was no hope for
survival, John cried out to the Lord, beseeching Him to preserve him alive for
repentance and service to God. The boat was thrown by the waves onto a coastal
sandbar. There he heard the voice of the Lord, commanding him to form a
monastery in the Name of the Life-Creating Trinity, and on a juniper tree he
miraculously discovered Its holy icon. The monk fulfilled the will of the Lord
and built a monastery with two temples – one in the Name of the MostHoly
Trinity and the other in honour of Saint Nicholas, protector of those sailing
and those journeying. Having refused the dignity of hegumen, the Monk Jona
remained at the monastery a simple monk. The monk died on 6 June 1534.
Over his relics afterwards was built a church in honour of Saints Zachariah and
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.