The Icon of the Mother of God of Bogoliubsk-Uglich
Commemorated on June 18
The Icon of the Mother of God of Bogoliubsk-Uglich was glorified by the miraculous ending of a pestilential plague in the year 1654. At the time of the deadly epidemic, the Uglich tradesman Aphanasii Kustov went along the city ramparts and arrived at the church in honour of Blessed Prince Dimitrii of Uglich. He saw there three lads, which he assumed were the children of the city voevoda-commander, living not far from the church. One of these however ordered Aphansii to announce in the city square that the inhabitants of the city should pray to the Lord God and His All-Pure Mother and invoke also the help of the holy wonderworkers Tsarevich Dimitrii and Roman of Uglich. The inhabitants of the city quickly gathered together in the church of Blessed Dimitrii the Tsarevich, they sang a molieben before the Bogoliubsk Icon of the Mother of God, and the terrible plague immediately stopped.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.