The Monk Longin of Koryazhemsk
Commemorated on February 10, October 10
The Monk Longin of Koryazhemsk at first pursued asceticism at the monastery of the monk Paul of Obnorsk, and then lived at the Borisoglebsk Sol'vychegodsk monastery. From there he settled with his friend Simon upwards about Vychegda towards the mouth of the Koryazhema river. Here, deep in the countryside, 10 versts from Sol'vychegod, the ascetics built cells and a chapel. When brethren gathered to him, they erected a church in the name of Saint Nicholas, and constructed a monastery (1535) in which the monk was hegumen. Near the church was located a well, dug out by the monk himself. After the death in 1540 his body was buried, in accord with his last wishes, nearby to the entrance to the church, and 16 years later was placed in the church itself. The memory of the monk Longin is done according to a special service, with a short writing of his life, compiled at a later time.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.