The Icon of the Mother of God named "Xenophite Hodegetria"
Commemorated on January 21
The Icon of the
Mother of God named "Xenophite Hodegetria": According to
tradition, this wonderworking icon from time immemorial was situated at the
Athonite Batopedeia monastery, in the cathedral. In the year 1730 from behind
closed doors it disappeared not only from the church, but also from the
monastery. They found the icon at the Xenophite monastery, a three hour journey
from the Batopedeia monastery. Returned to the Batopedeia monastery, the icon
was restored to its former place, and the fathers of the monastery took
protective measures of precaution for preventing the theft of the icon. But
again a second time the icon of the Mother of God left the Batopedeia monastery
and appeared at Xenophe. Persuaded of the providential aspect of this event,
the brethren of the monastery gave up on returning the icon to their monastery
and left it at Xenophe. As a sign of their blessing, the brethren after several
years furnished for the icon both tapers and oil.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.