The Vladimir-Zaonikievsk Icon of the Mother of God
Commemorated on May 21
The Vladimir-Zaonikievsk Icon of the Mother of God takes its name from the Zaonikiev monastery. This icon came to attention in 1588 under the following circumstances: a blind man named Ilarion from the village of Obukhov, in Vologda diocese, was healed after fervent prayer before the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God, Who miraculously pointed out to him a certain place in a dream. Healed by the Mother of God, Ilarion built a church with the help of the local inhabitants. Later on at this place grew up a monastery, where Ilarion accepted monastic tonsure under the name Joseph. And from the Vladimir-Zaonikievsk Icon of the Mother of God have occurred many miracles.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.